As an expert in the world of motorcycles, I have seen firsthand the importance of having a reliable navigation system while riding. Whether you are a seasoned rider or just starting out, having a motorcycle GPS can greatly enhance your riding experience and make your journeys more efficient and enjoyable.
What is a Motorcycle GPS?
A motorcycle GPS is a navigation system specifically designed for use on motorcycles. It is similar to a car GPS, but with features that cater to the unique needs of motorcyclists. These devices are typically mounted on the handlebars or dashboard of the motorcycle and provide turn-by-turn directions, real-time traffic updates, and other useful information.
There are two main types of motorcycle GPS systems: standalone units and smartphone apps. Standalone units are dedicated devices that are specifically designed for use on motorcycles. They are usually more rugged and weather-resistant than regular car GPS units, making them suitable for use in all types of weather conditions. Smartphone apps, on the other hand, utilize the GPS capabilities of your phone and provide navigation through an app.
Why You Need a Motorcycle GPS
One of the main reasons why you need a motorcycle GPS is for safety purposes. As riders, we are constantly faced with unpredictable road conditions and unexpected detours. Having a navigation system that can guide us through these situations can greatly reduce the risk of accidents and keep us safe on the road.
In addition to safety, a motorcycle GPS can also save you time and make your rides more efficient. With real-time traffic updates and alternative route suggestions, you can avoid congested roads and reach your destination faster. This is especially useful for long rides or when riding in unfamiliar areas.
Another benefit of having a motorcycle GPS is the ability to plan and customize your routes. Many GPS systems allow you to input multiple destinations and create a route that takes you through scenic roads or specific points of interest. This can add an element of adventure to your rides and make them more enjoyable.
Features to Look for in a Motorcycle GPS
When shopping for a motorcycle GPS, there are several key features that you should consider:
- Ruggedness: As mentioned earlier, a motorcycle GPS should be able to withstand the elements. Look for devices that are waterproof, shockproof, and have a durable casing.
- Screen size and readability: The screen size of a motorcycle GPS is important, as it needs to be large enough to see while riding. Look for devices with at least a 4-inch screen and adjustable brightness for easy readability in different lighting conditions.
- Mounting options: Make sure the GPS you choose comes with mounting options that are suitable for your motorcycle. Some devices come with universal mounts, while others may require specific mounts for certain models.
- Battery life: A long battery life is crucial for longer rides. Look for devices with at least 6-8 hours of battery life.
- Bluetooth connectivity: Some motorcycle GPS systems come with Bluetooth connectivity, allowing you to pair it with your phone for hands-free calling and music streaming.
The Best Motorcycle GPS Systems on the Market
Now that you know what features to look for, let's take a look at some of the best motorcycle GPS systems currently available:
- Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S: This rugged and weather-resistant GPS comes with a 4.3-inch screen, lifetime map updates, and Bluetooth connectivity. It also has a built-in trip planner and can be controlled with voice commands.
- TomTom Rider 550: The TomTom Rider 550 has a 4.3-inch screen, lifetime map updates, and Wi-Fi connectivity for easy updates. It also comes with a built-in music player and can be controlled with voice commands.
- BMW Motorrad Navigator VI: This GPS is specifically designed for BMW motorcycles and comes with a 5-inch screen, lifetime map updates, and Bluetooth connectivity. It also has a built-in trip planner and can be controlled with voice commands.
The Future of Motorcycle GPS
The world of motorcycle GPS is constantly evolving, with new technologies being introduced all the time. One of the most exciting developments in recent years is the integration of GPS systems into motorcycle helmets. These helmets come with built-in navigation systems that display directions directly in the rider's line of sight, eliminating the need to look down at a separate device.
Another trend in motorcycle GPS is the use of augmented reality (AR) technology. AR allows riders to see real-time navigation information projected onto their visor or windshield, making it easier to follow directions without taking your eyes off the road.
A motorcycle GPS is an essential tool for any rider looking to enhance their riding experience and stay safe on the road. With features like real-time traffic updates, customizable routes, and Bluetooth connectivity, these devices are more than just navigation systems - they are your ultimate riding companion.
So, if you haven't already, it's time to invest in a motorcycle GPS and take your rides to the next level!